Energy savings and environmental protection in pharmaceutical freeze-drying
Pharmaceutical freeze-drying is energy-intensive. Nevertheless, improved use of resources is possible without compromising process quality.
Optima Group Pharma pursues intensive development work under the Klee brand in order to achieve more resource-efficient processes. The following areas continue to undergo optimization:
- Reducing the dimensions of a freeze-drying line: wall thicknesses, mounting plates, fluid circulation systems
- Further reduction in the consumption of resources: water, nitrogen
- Using alternative coolants to avoid climate damage caused by greenhouse gases
- Optimizing the temporal flow of the freeze-drying process, in particular optimized regulation/control during the heating and cooling phases
- Alternatives to steam sterilization for energy savings
In-depth insights into this topic and into other technological innovations can be found in the interview with Franz Boßhammer (Optima Group Pharma director at the Gladenbach site).